Updated: Dec 4, 2020
I just want to start by saying, what an awesome company! It's common to hear about sustainable beauty, fashion, hygiene, and cleaners, but it's not every day that you hear of a sustainable phone case. But, it is something that we all need!
If you'd rather watch an unboxing/product review click here. Though this video does not review Pela as a company.
Let's start with some things that make Pela stand out and what they believe in:
- They want to create a waste-free future
- They are conscious of their impact and choices and want to make the best ones
- They are concerned only with what is right and not who is right
- About 60,000 phone cases are thrown away each year and Pela wanted to reduce the amount of plastic waste
- The world's first 100% compostable phone case made out of wood and world's first zero-waste screen protector (see below)
- They are member's of other conservation projects
"Lead the Way" Phone Case Review:
I ordered a purple "Lead the Way" phone case for my iPhone 8 from the clearance section.
- Even without the clearance price, it is still a reasonable price. About the same price you'd pay for an equal or lesser quality plastic phone case.
- The color and design are exactly what you see on the website.
- It fit my phone perfectly and the rounded edges met perfectly with my screen protector, enabling maximum protection.
- It is compostable! Less plastic waste here!
- It is flimsier than I thought originally, so I am not sure how much this will actually protect my phone
- Since it is compostable, I am slightly worried that it will lose quality quicker than other phone cases I have had, but only time will tell
- The shipping was very fast, especially considering I have a weird address and live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean
- They understand the difference between compostable and biodegradable
- They are very transparent
- Like I mentioned above, their products are very well priced, especially for a sustainable company. Not much more than standard phone gear.
- They are obviously conscious about all aspects of their waste, this tiny package pictured above is all that they sent; no plastic, no huge package that would take up extra room on a ship or plane and waste more emissions. And the only other thing included was a small piece of cardboard with a thank you note on it. Everything was recyclable!
- They have phone cases in all shapes and sizes for all brands and include so many colors and designs that anyone would love.
- They also have created and sell other phone gear such as the screen protector and have even begun selling sunglasses.
- They ship worldwide.
- They give customers a discount code for their followers to use to give people even more of an incentive to go with this case over a plastic one.
- To be honest, I cannot think of any cons! Of course, not every company is perfect, but Pela sure is one of the best brands I have purchased from.
Pela is a wonderful brand that is very open about their products. They have a wonderful About Me and FAQ section to answer any questions you may have.
I would shop at Pela again (when necessary) and I would recommend this brand to others. This is a great brand to start off with when you are first transitioning to a low waste lifestyle because they are affordable, good quality, honest, and have a good reputation.
UPDATE 19 December 2019:
I thought I'd do a little update since I've had this case for a month.
This case is durable. I am not as careful as I should be when it comes to my phone. I drop it quite a lot and I have had absolutely zero damage. As you probably saw in my video review, my phone has a decent-sized crack in it. I had a screen protector, but it was messing up my front camera, so I took it off about a month ago. And since then, I have still seen zero damage on my phone while using this case.
I have to be honest, I was a bit worried at first. This case feels very thin and flimsy, but the design is perfect. It hugs my phone perfectly and has protected it throughout the last two months.
I hope this puts a new perspective on this case!
Sustainability rating: 9.5/10 (I don't think anyone can be perfectly sustainable but they sure are close)
Quality rating: 10/10
Price rating: 9/10 (very affordable for the quality but on the pricier end)
Overall rating: 9.5/10
*ratings are based on my opinions alone
Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this review and that you chose Pela over a traditional phone case. This brand is doing some amazing things in this world and they are a company I am proud to support and review.
Stay tuned for an update on how well this protects my phone and how it does wear and tear wise!
Interested in more company reviews?
*Disclaimer: I bought these items with my own money and was not sponsored for this review, therefore, please take it as an honest review of the product and company