Updated: Dec 4, 2020
I've tried several shampoo bars, and honestly, I still can't say I like them. I still haven't narrowed it down to if it's the brands I don't like or if it's shampoo bars in general I don't like. They all seem to make my hair greasy. Even Foamie, unfortunately.
Though, I still suck with it for several weeks and documented it in this video. I liked it and it worked better than my first shampoo bar, but still not as great with my hair as liquid shampoo.
But, let's save that for the pros and cons below and let's talk a little bit about Foamie as a whole:
- Their shampoo is pH optimized for hair and scalp at a 5.5
- The essential oils in the bar I used were designed to invigorate and strengthen hair
- Free of plastic, mineral oils, PEG, soap, parabens, silicone, and lilials
- Certified Vegan and cruelty free
- Made in Germany (extra great for my European friends)
- Have shampoo AND conditioner bars as well as body wash (and even an amazing travel box for the bars)
- Clearly striving for sustainability
I was actually given this shampoo bar as a gift from my neighbor after her trip to Germany. I had never heard of this brand before and thought it would be fun to put to the test and review for you all.
Hair & Body Set (Hibiscus):
Though, I only tried the shampoo bar. I cannot attest to the use of the body wash.
- Great smell
- Has a little string in order to hand dry it and keep it from getting gross
- Plastic free packaging, always a win
- Vegan and cruelty free
- For a name like Foamie, it doesn't really foam all that great. The first shampoo bar I used got much sudsier
- Left my hair feeling greasy the next day
- The box was much bigger than the bar...either the bar should be bigger or the box should be smaller
Foamie Company Review:
Once I translated most of their website from German into English, I was able to get a bit of a better sense for what this company stands for.
- Vegan and cruelty free
- Plastic free promise
- All natural
- A plethora of scents and products to chose from
- Though they make a plastic free promise (that might just be for the shampoo/conditioner bars only?), their body soap most definitely has a little plastic window on it's box which seems unnecessary. Also, it's hard to tell what the other components of the body wash are made of
Sustainability Rating: 8/10
- Though their shampoo bar and conditioner bar are both plastic free, it appears that the body wash is not. On top of that, the shampoo bar was swimming in the box, so reducing the box size could reduce waste as well.
Quality Rating: 5/10
- Smaller than I anticipated, didn't get as foamy as the name implied, and made my hair a bit greasy. Though I did love the smell and it worked better than other bars I've used in the past.
Price Rating: 10/10
- This bar does not cost much more (if at all more) than your normal liquid shampoo. This was definitely a highlight for me.
Overall Rating: 7.6/10
*ratings are based on my opinions alone
Overall, I am glad that Foamie is truly striving for zero waste and a clear advocate for the earth and for the animals. I enjoyed this product, though not my favorite shampoo ever. Let me know if it works better on your hair!
Interested in more company reviews?
Want to shop the shirt I'm wearing? Click here to shop Green Spirits!
* Disclaimer: I was gifted this item by a friend and was not sponsored for this review, therefore, please take it as an honest review of the product and company