Updated: Dec 4, 2020
It can seem a bit fishy sometimes ordering from brands because it seems to good to be true. Well, I am here to tell you today that Earth & Friens is legitimate and has some amazing products.
I just want to start this off by saying that this is not sponsored, but I was gifted these items. So, now that you know I am not being paid for this review, I hope you can take everything I say honestly.
Let's start off by talking a little bit about the company:
They are passionate about the Earth and that is what drew me to them. They are not just another company searching for money and hopping on the Zero Waste train because it's a "trend." No, they are honestly working hard to combat plastic pollution.
Their goal seems to be to inspire and help others reduce their single-use plastic consumption. Did you know that roughly 50% of all plastic created is for single-use purposes? Wow!
So, since we have similar goals in mind, I thought that this is easily a brand I feel proud to work with and review.
Here is what I received:
- 3 mesh bags: small, medium, and large
- 1 silicon “zipper” bag
- And 6 silicon bowl toppers
I put them to the test on my YouTube channel. You can watch this video here (link available after 16 March 2020, 8:00 am JST).
Cotton Mesh Bags:
I love these bags. I have never tried a mesh bag before, but they met all my expectations: soft yet durable, practical straps and clamp, and come in a variety of sizes. Some highlights are that this bag is 100% organic cotton, biodegradable, and washable.
- 100% organic cotton. No plastic involved AND they are biodegradable!
- I love the size variety
- Very sturdy but still very classy and minimal
- Lightweight, easy to carry and pack
- The size small is very weird. You can see this better in my YouTube video, but the dimensions to me seem backward. I feel like the "mouth" should be on the side.
Silicon Reusable Lids:
I know what you're thinking...aren't all lids reusable? Well, yes, but these lids are specifically for those items you don't have lids for. Or, a better way to think about it, things that you would normally put in a zipper bag or use cling wrap on. That's where these guys come into play. They are great for weird sized bowls, mugs, and even half-cut pieces of fruit that you don't know what to do with.
- Design is very smart with little tabs on the outer edges to make putting the lids on very easy
- They come in a variety of sizes so you can have a lid for just about anything
- Holds water and solids very well, no leaks as you can see in this video
- FDA approved, food-grade silicone
- Dishwasher and microwave safe (heat resistant), a huge win for me!
- BPA free
- I personally felt that they were a little thin which made me nervous about them tearing
- Some of the sizes were just too different. What I mean is that the smaller size would be too small for the container I was using and the next size up was too big
Silicone Zipper Bags:
I have only tried one brand before, and I hated it. My hopes and expectations were low. But, reusable silicone zipper bags were redeemed with this better design and shape. This set normally comes in a set of four multi-colored bags, but I received the white/clear one.
- It holds a lot! It is a 1-quart (1000mL) size
- Heat resistant: microwave, stove-top, and dishwasher safe. Like I mentioned above, this is a huge win for me.
- Cold-resistant: freezer safe
- The design is so smart: it has a folding bottom to hold more and can be stood upright. Plus, the zipper is a plastic "clip" that slides on and it becomes leak proof.
- Airtight seal
- Though this design is better than I have seen in the past, the plastic "clip" can still be a bit tricky to get on and off
Since I already talked about them above, let's just jump right into the review.
- Everything came packaged in a nice canvas drawstring bag. This can be reused in a number of ways
- Everything they stand for is what I stand for. I align myself with them.
- They are motivated to reduce plastic pollution/single-use plastic
- They strive for qualifications: organic, FDA-approved, etc.
- Any plastic that was included was biodegradable bioplastic...which leads to my first con...
- BIoplastic is great, but it has to be disposed of correctly or it will still take 100s if not 1000s of years to decompose. And since I do not have access to compost here, it had to be thrown away and therefore still ended up in the landfill where it will not decompose properly
- Their website is pretty bare when it comes to their goals, where their products are made, who makes their products, any contact information, and so forth.
I think a more in-depth bio/about section would be of great benefit. I think this allows the customers/readers to better understand who they are purchasing from and help them to feel more comfortable with their purchases. Especially people like me who really put a lot of thought into what they buy and who they buy from.
I hope you give Earth & Friends a chance if you need any of these products. I do not endorse you just buying things for fun. Buy what you need! And if you do truly need something, I would recommend Earth & Friends.
Sustainability Rating: 7/10
- Their goal is clearly to reduce their waste and help others do the same. They use organic cotton which is a plus...but they do not state where they get their materials, where they are made, where they are manufactured, and if they are doing any sort of recycling or carbon offsetting. Since I do not have the full picture, I had to give this score.
Quality Rating: 9/10
- Very high quality, have the qualifications to back it as well. My only complaints are that the bag is sometimes difficult to use and the silicone lids are very thin and worry me about tears.
Price Rating: 10/10
- Very affordable for being high-quality, zero-waste items. A lot of companies out there will charge much more for nearly the same product.
Overall Rating: 8.6/10
*ratings are based on my opinions alone
Though there are a few cons, I strongly back Earth & Friends. I think this is a great company to support their products and their morals. Not every company/brand is perfect as you might have seen in my other reviews.
My only major suggestion is that they add a more in-depth about section so we can better get to know their team.
Earth & Friends is doing a lot of good in the world by not only selling zero-waste products but also being an advocate for sustainability and putting their money where their mouth is. They also show their love for the earth through their actions and not just their products.
I hope you enjoyed this review and learned a lot from it. Don't forget to check out these items!
Interested in more company reviews?
* Disclaimer: I was gifted them items, but was not sponsored or endorsed in any way. Therefore, please take it as an honest review of the products and company. Discount code is an affiliate link.