Updated: Dec 4, 2020
If you'd rather watch a video review, you can check that out here.
Toothpaste is one of the first sustainable switches I wanted to make, but I still had several tubes of regular toothpastes stocked up that I needed to get rid of. Well, the time has finally come, nearly two years into my sustainable living journey and I was able to make the switch.
Now, you might be wondering...what about toothy tabs or something of that nature? Well, I tried them and I personally hate them. I don't like the texture or any part of it and don't think I would ever grow accustomed to it.
That's why I chose Davids. While it still comes in packaging, it's a completely metal tube that can be easily recycled, unlike normal toothpaste tubes.
Here are some highlights of Davids:
- Naturally sourced and derived ingredients
- EWG certified
- Fluoride free
- No sodium lauryl sulfate
- Sulfate free
- Plant-based and earth based (AKA Vegan)
- No artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, or preservatives
- No animal testing
- American made
- 98% US-based ingredients and materials
- Aluminum tube and cardboard box
- Family owned and operated
I had heard many zero-wasters recommend Davids as a great sustainable toothpaste brand. So, I wanted to test that theory for myself.
Davids Natural Toothpaste Review:
Their toothpaste comes in four flavors, but I chose the good ole natural peppermint flavor. I wanted to go with a classic before branching out. Upon receiving my package, I was very impressed. Everything came in recyclable (or even compostable) packaging.
- Natural ingredients, so I'm not worried about ingesting anything unknown
- Vegan and cruelty free
- FINALLY, an easily recyclable toothpaste tube
- Great, strong flavor (very strong!)
- Does a good job cleaning, anything your commercial toothpaste does
- Doesn't suds up at all. Which kinda makes it seem like it's not working. Very minor, but personal preference
- The little "key" that it comes with...I couldn't seem to get it to work properly. You can learn more about why I don't like this "key" and why I think it's wasteful here
Davids Company Review:
Honestly, I was not expected to read that many great things about the company on their box that the toothpaste came in.
- Vegan, cruelty free
- All natural
- Has several certifications
- Truly care about the earth
- Again, that "key" is extremely wasteful in the sense that it comes in every single pack of toothpaste. That means every time it needs to be recycled and recreated. Not a fan.
- Though not totally a con, having a travel-sized option about be AMAZING!
Overall, I think Davids is an amazing company at the forefront of low waste essentials. I think a lot of companies can learn a thing or two from Davids, though I still see room for improvement. I am interested to see where they go in the next few years.
Sustainability Rating: 8/10
- Their goal is very clearly to help the earth. They seem to have strong morals for the earth, for the animals, and for our health and I really appreciate that. Though, because they include that "key" in every single pack, I think that is a big change that they can make in the name of sustainability. They are doing great things, but could make this seemingly small step reduce a lot of waste in the long run.
Quality Rating: 9/10
- My only two very minor critiques are that the flavor is a bit too strong for me personally and that it doesn't suds up at all. Though, I think the lack of suds might just be a characteristic of natural toothpastes.
Price Rating: 10/10
- Even though I am paying for quality, natural ingredients and ethics, this toothpaste is certainly not much more compared to commercial brands like Crest. I think you certainly get what you pay for, and I will always be willing to pay a little more for quality and to preserve the earth.
Overall Rating: 9/10
*ratings are based on my opinions alone
Davids is an amazing company that strives for sustainability, animals rights, and our health. Overall, I strongly encourage you to support Davids especially if you are in the market for a low waste toothpaste.
Davids is going a lot of good for the world and I hope other companies latch on to these ethics as well. I love that they show their love for their customers and the earth. You can really see it in this product.
Interested in more company reviews?
Want to shop the shirt I'm wearing? Click here to shop Green Spirits!
* Disclaimer: I bought this item with my own money and was not sponsored for this review, therefore, please take it as an honest review of the product and company